Children’s Connection has been responding to the needs of physically and sexually abused children and their families for more than 35 years and works to raise awareness about the issue of child abuse through seminars, workshops and media campaigns. Our mission is to create a world where no child is harmed and no family is left without guidance.
Children’s Connection is a fully accredited Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC) which provides a comfortable, private, child-friendly setting that is both physically and emotionally safe for children of all ages. The purpose of a CAC is to provide a coordinated collaborative multidisciplinary team (MDT) response to allegations of child abuse. An effective MDT is an essential component in the investigation, management and prosecution of child abuse cases. The MDT and CAC integrates and coordinates the services of all the agencies in a way that does not intimidate or re-victimize children and improves the prosecution of perpetrators responsible for the abuse and trauma to their victims.
- The Multidisciplinary Team of Greater Norwalk (MDT)
- Stop Child Abuse and Neglect Educational Programs (SCAN)
- Children’s Bank
Coordinated by Children’s Connection, The Multidisciplinary Team of Greater Norwalk was developed in 1997 to address limitations and gaps in services that individual agencies in the Greater Norwalk area were coming across while trying to face child abuse cases on their own. Our goal is to provide a coordinated, multi-agency response that would enable all systems to better serve these families.
The Multidisciplinary Response includes
- Specialized Medical Evaluations
- Therapeutic Intervention
- Victim Advocacy and Support
- Case Review and Tracking
- Information and Referral
- Community Outreach and Education
- Investigation and Prosecution
The Multidisciplinary Approach
- Significantly decreases the number of interviews to which a child is subjected
- Supports the child and the family through the entire investigative process
- Strengthens the criminal prosecution by coordinating the investigative process and information
- Sustains cooperation among all of the involved agencies
The purpose of the Children’s Connection Children’s Advocacy Center and Multidisciplinary Team is to provide on-site agency collaboration and the use of the multi-disciplinary team approach in prevention, investigation, assessment, protection, referral for prosecution and treatment of child sexual and severe physical abuse and neglect.
Stop Child Abuse and Neglect Education Programs (SCAN)
Supporting children and families throughout the investigative process allows them to feel empowered and part of the team rather than victims once again. Joint investigations lead to the successful prosecution of cases holding more perpetrators accountable for their behaviors. The proper intervention after abuse has occurred can help to reduce the likelihood that these children will go on to become perpetrators in the future; however, this is only one piece to ending the cycle. By supporting the victim and holding the perpetrator accountable, the cycle is less likely to continue, however, it is also crucial that we make every effort to stop abuse before it occurs. Children’s Connection does this through our Stop Child Abuse and Neglect Education Programs (SCAN). Through workshops, seminars and media campaigns, SCAN Educational Programs teach parents, professionals and students how to recognize, resist and report all forms of child abuse.
Available SCAN Education Programs
- Child Abuse 101: Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect
- Cyberspace and Beyond: Protecting yourself on the Internet
- Cyberspace and Beyond: Parenting in an Age of Extreme Technology
- Mandated Reporting for Professionals
- The Children’s Advocacy Center and Multidisciplinary Approach to Addressing Child Abuse
Report Child Abuse Now